BBC Radio 2’s Piano Room Month has been launched by the station in what will be its biggest celebration of live music in a decade.
Earlier, across his morning show, Ken Bruce announced twenty artists who will be performing, accompanied by the BBC Concert Orchestra live from London’s BBC Maida Vale studios from Monday 31 January to Friday 25 February.
The gigs will be broadcast live in Ken’s Radio 2 show and on BBC Sounds, with each artist performing three tracks – a new song, a classic, and a cover – with members of the BBC Concert Orchestra accompanying them.
Following the live shows, each performance will be available to watch live on BBC iPlayer then on demand from 6pm that day and available for 30 days afterwards.
Ken’s PopMaster quiz will not be affected by this and will continue daily at 10.30am.
The live broadcasts will also be broadcast as an hour-long special on Radio 2 each Sunday (7-8pm) featuring highlights from the previous week’s performances.
Ken Bruce commented: “I predict cold, rain and possibly even a smattering of snow this February, so what better remedy than to sit back with a warm brew and join me and some of the finest musicians in the world for Radio 2’s Piano Room Month.”
Jeff Smith, Radio 2’s Head of Music, said: “At Radio 2 we pride ourselves on providing our music-loving listeners with the widest range of songs and live music to be heard anywhere on UK radio.
“We worked hard to offer incredible performances to our audience throughout the past two years, and I’m thrilled to bring 20 live sessions to each of Ken’s weekday shows next month.
“I’d like to thank all of the artists, most of whom will be performing their first live session of 2022, as well as the BBC Concert Orchestra, who have been busy rehearsing a vast range of different songs. Tune in live, watch them all on BBC iPlayer or listen on BBC Sounds.”
The artists performing are:
- Monday 31 January David Gray
- Tuesday 1 February Jack Savoretti
- Wednesday 2 February Stereophonics
- Thursday 3 February Anne-Marie
- Friday 4 February Katie Melua
- Monday 7 February Clean Bandit
- Tuesday 8 February Joy Crookes
- Wednesday 9 February Will Young – performing on the anniversary of him winning Pop Idol in 2002
- Thursday 10 February Rebecca Ferguson
- Friday 11 February Tom Odell
- Monday 14 February James Morrison
- Tuesday 15 February Ella Henderson
- Wednesday 16 February Craig David
- Thursday 17 February Natalie Imbruglia
- Friday 18 February James Blunt
- Monday 21 February Tears For Fears
- Tuesday 22 February Simple Minds
- Wednesday 23 February Emeli Sandé
- Thursday 24 February Jamie Cullum (pre-recorded)
- Friday 25 February Ed Sheeran (pre-recorded)
Radio 2 says that given the ongoing situation with Covid, please note that artists are subject to change at short notice.