Christmas Tik Tok Takeover a first for BBC Radio 1
BBC Radio 1 will be hosting its first-ever TikTok Takeover on Christmas Day.
This will include 11 TikTok stars from the worlds of comedy, entertainment and music taking part.
Regular users of the social media platform will probably recognise the names Fats Timbo, Watson D.Hirschfield, Anastasia Kingsnorth, Chewkz, George and Joe Baggs, Maddie Grace Jepson, Kyron Hamilton, Madeline Argy, Max Fosh and Max Balegde. Each of them will be a part of the Radio 1 Christmas Day schedule.
Fats Timbo says: “Can’t believe we have our own Christmas special show on BBC Radio 1. When I was younger I could only dream of this now I can represent disabled people through the radio!”
Watson D.Hirschfield says: “From making TikToks in an empty room to having our own Christmas special show on BBC Radio 1 is INSANE! From singing national anthems to funny traditions, it’s gonna be an amazing show!”
Anastasia Kingsnorth says: “I am so excited to be taking over BBC Radio 1 for some time on Christmas Day. I’ve got the perfect Christmas songs lined up I know everyone is going to love, I hope everyone is excited to listen!”
Maddie Grace Jepson says: “SO excited to be a part of BBC Radio 1’s TikTok Takeover this Christmas Day, it’s absolutely going to be a scream and I cannot wait to listen!! Thank you BBC Radio 1 for having me and make sure you tune in to listen to your TikTok FAVES sleigh sleigh sleigh through the day.”
Kyron Hamilton says: “ITS CHRISTMASSSS BABYYYYYY!!! So so so excited to be part of this TikTok Takeover for BBC Radio 1 this Christmas! Had the best time alongside the Legend that is Maddie, and I cannot wait to hear it! Thank you so much to BBC Radio 1 for having us!!”
Radio 1’s TikTok Takeover schedule:
- 2pm: Maddie Grace Jepson and Kyron Hamilton
- 2.30pm: Max Fosh
- 3pm: Anastasia Kingsnorth
- 3.30pm: George and Joe Baggs
- 4pm: Chewkz
- 4.30pm: Madeline Argy
- 5pm: Max Balegde
- 5.30pm: Fats Timbo and Watson D.Hirschfield
In addition to this, between Boxing Day and New Year’s Day, the station will once again be showcasing new and emerging talent by giving 29 new DJs a chance to host their own show.
Most of those taking part began in student, local, community or hospital radio including Issra Wiheba who presents the daily Drivetime show on London-based community station Westside, Angelle Joseph from BBC Radio Suffolk and Roesh from BBC Radio Manchester. Also among the new presenters is partially sighted Chrissy Cameron, who was crowned ‘Best Presenter’ at this year’s Student Radio Awards. Chrissy currently presents on Spark Sunderland and will be taking over Radio 1’s Future Sounds show.
Others include, 23-year-old Betty Douglas who has a hugely successful blog where she discusses everything from her physical disability to love and relationships; and 22-year-old Bisola Otun who hosts her own YouTube show ‘Hood Veganism’.
Aled Haydn Jones, Head of Radio 1, says: “Over the past few years Radio 1 has been dedicated to providing a platform for some of the UK’s most exciting, undiscovered radio presenters.
“I’m thrilled that this year we’re also able to make some room for new and emerging social media talent as I know our young audiences would love to hear a different side to their online heroes. I can’t wait to tune in over the festive period and hear how everyone does!”
Radio 1’s Christmas Takeover launched in 2019 as an initiative created by Head of BBC Radio 1, Aled Haydn Jones. Many of the guests presenters have gone on to achieve major successes across the industry. To date, eight of the former guest presenters have landed permanent slots on Radio 1, most recently with Dean McCullough and Vicky Hawkesworth.
The full list of Christmas Takeover presenters (in alphabetical order):
- Abbie Dewhurst, 29, from Grimsby (Radio 1’s Life Hacks)
- Alannah Mackenzie, 25, from Hamilton (Radio 1 Anthems)
- Angelle Joseph, 30, from Ipswich (Radio 1’s Indie Show and Future Artists)
- Betty Douglas, 23, from Bradford (Radio 1 Anthems)
- Bisola Otun, 22, from South London (Radio 1 Anthems)
- Chelsey Ward, 25, from Worksop (Radio 1 Anthems)
- Chrissy Cameron, 21, from South Tyneside (Radio 1’s Future Sounds)
- Connor Coates,29 from Belfast (Radio 1 Dance Anthems)
- Conor Knight, 27, from Essex (Radio 1 Anthems)
- Evanna Maxted, 23, from Belfast (Radio 1 Anthems)
- Ifan Davies, 28, from Tywyn (Radio 1’s Chillest Show)
- Issra Wiheba, 24, from West Sussex (Radio 1 Anthems)
- Jess Bays, 30, from Surrey (Radio 1’s Dance Party)
- Jodie Bryant, 27, from Kingston (Radio 1’s Future Pop)
- Jorja McAndrew, 25, from Edinburgh (Radio 1’s Power Down Playlist)
- Martha, 29, from Peckham (Annie Nightingale)
- Mary Mandefield, 28, from Welwyn Garden City (Radio 1’s Life Hacks)
- Melle Brown, 26, from Camden (Radio 1’s Future Dance)
- Nick Gibbons, 32, from Manchester (Radio 1’s Future Soul)
- Olivia Toplain, 25, from Glasgow (Radio 1 Relax)
- Olly Hilton, 20, from Loughborough, and Izzie Norwood, 22, from Huddersfield (The Official Chart on Radio 1)
- Oré Olukoga, 27, from Hackney (Radio 1 Anthems)
- Phoebe I-H, 29, from Glasgow (BBC Introducing on Radio 1 Dance)
- Roesh, 28, from Manchester (BBC Introducing on Radio 1)
- Sweetpea, 33, from South London (Radio 1’s Drum & Bass Show)
- Tara Kumar, 32, from Alice Springs, Australia (Radio 1’s Future Sounds)
- Tom Featherstone, 30, from Lincoln (Radio 1’s Rock Show)
- Tommy Gold, 24, from London (Benji B)